Thomson Park on Saturna Island is a peaceful and unspoiled oasis that showcases the island’s natural beauty. This coastal park offers a wide range of outdoor activities and is an ideal destination for nature lovers, hikers, birdwatchers, and anyone seeking a tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle of urban life.
Key Attractions and Activities:
- Scenic Hiking Trails: The park features a network of well-maintained hiking trails that wind through lush forests and lead to scenic viewpoints. One of the highlights is the hike to Mount Warburton Pike, which provides breathtaking panoramic views of the surrounding islands and the Salish Sea.
- Wildlife Viewing: Saturna Island is known for its diverse wildlife, and Thomson Park is no exception. Keep an eye out for deer, eagles, and a variety of bird species. The island is especially renowned for its orca whale sightings, so visitors may have the opportunity to spot these magnificent creatures from the park’s shores.
- Picnicking: Thomson Park offers several designated picnic areas with tables, making it an excellent spot for a leisurely outdoor meal surrounded by the island’s natural beauty.
- Photography: The park’s landscapes, viewpoints, and abundant flora and fauna provide excellent opportunities for photography. Capture the island’s serene beauty and vibrant colors.
- Stargazing: Saturna Island is recognized for its limited light pollution, making it an excellent place for stargazing. The park’s location away from urban areas provides a clear view of the night sky, perfect for astronomy enthusiasts.
- Picnic areas with tables and benches.
- Information kiosk with park maps and trail information.
- Outhouses (pit toilets).
Getting There: To reach Thomson Park, take the BC Ferries from Vancouver (Tsawwassen terminal) or Vancouver Island to Saturna Island. Once on the island, drive south along Harris Road until you reach the park. There are clear road signs to guide you.
Hours and Fees: Thomson Park is typically open year-round. There are no entrance fees to access the park, and parking is readily available. However, services and facilities may vary by season, so it’s advisable to check local conditions and operating hours, especially if you plan to visit during the off-season.
Note: While visiting Thomson Park on Saturna Island, please respect the natural environment and practice Leave No Trace principles. Stay on designated trails, be mindful of local wildlife, and help preserve this pristine area for future generations. Enjoy the tranquility and natural beauty of Thomson Park during your visit.
8-102 Quarry Ridge, Saturna, BC V0N 2Y0