Colliery Dam Park
Colliery Dam Park is a beautiful and tranquil oasis within the city of Nanaimo. It is renowned for its picturesque scenery, serene lakes, and hiking trails. One of its standout features is Granny Falls, a charming waterfall nestled within the park. Whether you’re a nature enthusiast, a family looking for a picnic spot, or a hiker seeking a leisurely walk, Colliery Dam Park has something to offer for everyone.
Key Attractions and Activities:
- Granny Falls: Granny Falls is the park’s highlight. This delightful waterfall is easily accessible by a short, well-maintained trail. It’s a popular spot for photography and provides a soothing backdrop for relaxation.
- Colliery Lakes: The park features several small lakes formed by historic coal mining activity. These calm waters are perfect for canoeing, kayaking, and fishing. Please note that swimming is not recommended due to the former mining activity.
- Hiking Trails: Colliery Dam Park offers a network of trails that wind through lush forests and along the lakeshores. The trails are suitable for all skill levels, making it an ideal location for a leisurely stroll or a more extensive hike.
- Picnicking: There are designated picnic areas with tables and benches throughout the park, making it a lovely spot for a family picnic or a peaceful outdoor meal.
- Wildlife Viewing: Keep an eye out for local wildlife, including birds, ducks, and the occasional deer, as you explore the park’s natural surroundings.
- Restrooms are available near the parking area.
- A covered picnic shelter is available for use on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The park is wheelchair accessible, with some trails and viewing areas designed to accommodate mobility-impaired visitors.
Getting There: Colliery Dam Park is conveniently located in Nanaimo, making it easily accessible by car. The park has a dedicated parking area for visitors.
Hours and Fees: The park is typically open year-round, and there are no entrance fees. However, some facilities within the park, such as the picnic shelter, may require reservations and associated fees. Check the City of Nanaimo’s official website for the most up-to-date information on park hours and any special events.
Note: While visiting Colliery Dam Park, please be respectful of the natural environment and adhere to park rules and regulations. Pack out all trash, stay on designated trails, and help preserve the beauty of this urban oasis. Enjoy your visit to Colliery Dam Park and Granny Falls in Nanaimo!