Durrance Lake is a serene and scenic destination that offers a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. Nestled within a forested area, this pristine lake is a favorite spot for outdoor enthusiasts, nature lovers, and those seeking a tranquil day in a natural setting.
Key Attractions and Activities:
- Swimming: Durrance Lake is an inviting spot for swimming during the warmer months. The clean, freshwater lake provides a refreshing escape from the summer heat. There is a designated swimming area, making it safe for families.
- Picnicking: The lake’s shoreline features several picnic areas with tables and benches, making it an excellent place to enjoy a meal or a snack surrounded by the natural beauty of the area. BBQs are also available in some sections.
- Hiking and Nature Trails: The park surrounding Durrance Lake offers a network of hiking and nature trails. The Durrance Lake Loop Trail is a popular choice, circling the lake and providing opportunities for bird-watching and wildlife observation.
- Fishing: Anglers can try their luck with freshwater fishing at Durrance Lake. It’s stocked with rainbow trout, making it a favorite spot for fishing enthusiasts.
- Non-Motorized Boating: While there are no motorized boats allowed on the lake, non-motorized watercraft like canoes and kayaks are welcome. Paddle peacefully while taking in the serene surroundings.
- Bird-Watching: The lake and surrounding forest are home to a variety of bird species, making it a fantastic location for bird-watching and photography.
- Restrooms and picnic areas.
- Parking lot with ample space for visitors.
- Accessibility for people with disabilities.
- Trash and recycling bins to help maintain the park’s cleanliness.
- Note: Alcohol and fires are prohibited in the park.
Getting There: Durrance Lake is easily accessible by car. From Victoria, take West Saanich Road to Willis Point Road, which leads directly to the lake. The drive is approximately 30 minutes from downtown Victoria.
Hours and Fees: Durrance Lake is typically open year-round, with longer daylight hours during the summer season. There is no entrance fee to access the lake or its facilities.
Note: Visitors are encouraged to respect the natural environment, follow park rules and regulations, and pack out all waste to help preserve the pristine beauty of Durrance Lake for future generations. Enjoy your visit to this tranquil oasis in the midst of Vancouver Island’s wilderness!
Ross Durrance Rd, Victoria, BC V9E 1G8